10 November 2009

*tension

currently i'm working with crochet. my grandmother taught me to crochet when i was in elementary school. i still use some of her crochet hooks that she gave to me years ago. i used to attempt to make granny square afghans, but i could never control my tension. i'd begin with what seemed like the correct stitch but by the time i finished a few rows i could barely get the hook through the previous stitches.

i'm feeling less tension these days and picked the yarn and hook back up. last night i even taught myself some new stitches - tunisian crochet - i love it. it looks like it was knitted. i can't knit - i've tried about a million times to teach myself - talk about tension! i hope to incorporate the tunisian into some interesting jewelry. here are some samples of regular crochet - not anything great at this point. i'm trying to figure out what i like and what others might like. my aunt rosemary gave me a huge box of sewing supplies - there were tons of buttons, thread and findings.

above: gray shiny button with gray crochet cotton with pin back


above: yellow fuzzy button (probably from a house coat) with pale blue crochet cotton and pin back

i think these might look nice on a bulky sweater or securing a scarf.

No comments: